Home › About
Village of Waddington, New York

About

ABOUT WADDINGTON VILLAGE

The first settlers arrived around 1798.

The Village was originally called Hamilton after Alexander Hamilton. David A and Thomas L Ogden formed a business connection with Hamilton until the duel that resulted in Hamilton's death. The brothers, owners of the Town of Madrid sold one third to Joshua Waddington.

In 1818 the name of the village changed from Hamilton to Waddington. The Town of Waddington was formed afterwards.

Joshua Waddington arrived in America in 1776 from England died in 1844 at the age of 89 years.

Waddington was incorporated April 26, 1839.

Mr. Spafford states in his Gazettte of 1813, Hamilton then contained 135 houses, 2 saw mills, 1 grist mill, a fulling mill, trip hammer, and the site of an academy then building.

A furnace was built by the Ogdens in Waddington in 1834. It was termed by iron founders a quarter furnace. It was 26 feet square and 28 fee high and ran on bog ore alone. In 1840 the furnace stopped.

During the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway parts of the village were relocated and the old industrial area was destroyed.

The seaway opened in 1959 and cost C$470 million

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.4 square miles, 2.2 square miles of it land and 0.2 square miles of it (8.82%) is water.

Population in 2017: 952

Village of Waddington | Website Submissions

HomeAboutDepartmentsDocksFishingBusinessesContactExplore